Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup


I originally got this recipe from allrecipes.com, but I've never made it the same way twice! Listed below is the last way I made it. I think the base is pretty good and I've added all sorts of vegetables. You could add a lot to make it spicier or less spicy. The original recipe is more complicated than I like. For example, I never make my own tortilla strips, I just use tortilla chips, and I don't see the point in cooking the chicken before putting it in the crock pot, so I just use raw chicken.

1 1/2 pounds raw chicken breasts
2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes with chili peppers
1 (14 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chili peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 ounces chicken broth (can add more and/or some water if needed)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn

toppings (all optional):
chopped cilantro
tortilla chips or striops (make your own if you want)
cheese
lime
sour cream

can also add all sorts of vegetables or beans

1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilis, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn. Cover, and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.

2. Toward the end of cooking time, take the chicken breasts out, shred them, then place back in soup for the remainder of cooking time.

3. a) Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
or....b) freeze in a sealed container and enjoy another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment